Saturday, May 20, 2006

Ahhh Eurotrash, how I missed thee

What a night, and it was only the Eurovision semi final. Which means double the trash and one third the tedium for voting time. Must pace myself in preparation for Sunday night's extravaganza. The biggie. The one where "Le Royame Uni gets nul pwa".

Unexpected guests arrived after song three last night, Vidman and Mrs Vid. Commentary and confusion ensued. Couldn't join in the drinking game because Mrs Vid is gestating a lifeform.

Hubbs: Have they got enough people on stage?
Me: Eurovision trivia: They're only allowed six people on stage.
Vidman: It all looks very eighties (drink!)
Me: (Song 4, Andorra, with the "Rueben-esque waitress-singer and slut dancers) They're not getting thorugh. (I was right)
Me: (Song 6, Belgium, with lightsabres and men in corsets) They're through (I was wrong)

Ukraine's entry was a flat-out copy of last year's winner, Greece. same kind of song, same dress with a cossak twist. (drink!)

Mrs Vid: (On Finland's entry) They look like they're out of Buffy.
Vidman: Or Klingons.
Me: Or when Klingon cousins breed.
Hubbs: I can't stop counting the people on stage now.

Netherlands used an invented language - (drink!)

Lituania's entry: We are the winners of Eurovision. Vote! (drink!)
Vidman: They're a bit up themselves.
Me: They won't get through (but they did!)

Estonia: Riffs of Abba's Does Your Mother Know.
Me: They'll get through (wrong again!)

Bosnia-Herzegovena.
Mrs Vid: They're wedding singers.

Iceland's Silvia Night closes the evening with pastiche, awful singing, a double strip for her and the dancers and raucous boos from the crowd. (Drink!!!!)

Through to the final:
Russia,
Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia,
Bosnia-Herzegovina,
Finland,
Ukraine,
Ireland,
Sweden,
Turkey,
Armenia
Lithuania

Like I said, have to pace myself for tomorrow night, it's gonna be HUUUUUUUGE!

Told me something
Blogger ChickyBabe told me...

Gotta admit the quality was a bit better than previous years. Maybe because I was into my second bottle of wine already...(with company).

The Klingons and Romulans just had to get in! And Lithuania had me on the floor. Bosnia-Herzegovena were good, I thought, but they won't win because it's in their language. Did anyone else think Armenia sang off key?

Can't wait for tomorrow night either!

2:50 pm  
Blogger Burnt Karma told me...

Oh good, it wasn't just me then, because I really didn't think Armenia would get in because of the thin-voice off-key thing.

Mind you, hasn't Eurovision flourished under the breakup of Yugoslavia and USSR?

If they're singing in made-up languages, then a made up country can't be far away.

2:56 pm  
Blogger Ben.H told me...

What with the Iceland debacle, noone's paid too much attention to Russia getting through to the finals with classic trainwreck Eurovision: a guy with a mullet and a tanktop with "13" printed on the front, accompanied by two ballerinas and a mime trapped in a piano. How do they keep coming up with this gold?

1:33 am  
Blogger Marius told me...

Inbred Klingon cousins? Lightsabre wielding transvestites? Mimes in pianos?! Curse my country's isolationist arrogance!!! All we get is Brittney Spears wannabes puking out pop tunes on American Idol. Ah well, at least I can imagine from the commentary here. :-)

7:09 am  
Blogger Burnt Karma told me...

Oh no Marius, you speak too soon.
The US of A is getting its own Eurovision soon. Not that you need it, but I think finally someone's cottoned on to the idea of making squillions from sms voting. Idol, Big Brother and even general elections were just the warm up.

Ben, I agree - I was so confident Russia wouldn't stand a chance, and they just cruised through. Bleugh.

10:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counters